1989 Black 180sx

12-10-2016201098

Been too long between posts here, finally have time to sit down and post a build thread of a 180SX I picked up February last year and have poured way too many hours into! This is the concept we started with, a cool pignose 180sx!

20160320_180235

20160320_180221

Picked it up in a pretty sad state, De-registered in 2008 and been sitting around ever since. Some guy had pulled the Original CA18DET engine/trans out and pulled the manifolds etc off planning to rebuild it. I put the engine back together and got it all running again.

20160319_185652

20160405_123201

Then we took it back through compliance, which it passed without too much hassle. The factory left tail light came factory with only 1 bulb(the inner casing has a shroud that stops any light showing on the outside!!!) which I have never come across before, so had to swap them for the later model which has two bulbs.

20160328_140535
20160405_134330

While it was getting its WOF sticker we were over picking up a full 1998 Type X Blacktop SR20DET and manual conversion out of a wreck. A lot of time was lost cleaning the engine bay in preparation.

20160405_125035
20160405_125044
20160415_202516
20160430_180243
20160501_111529

The conversion was pretty straight forward, had to re-wire the interior with the Type X interior loom to match the engine harness.

20160430_122626
20160515_102945
20160515_141259
20160516_140951
20160529_123800

Once that was all complete we went and did a drift session on the Tokoroa Airfield. It was quite interesting to drift another Silvia with no lock mods and a horrible suspension setup!

20160606_121356

Although the diff held up ok at the airfield, I knew it was only a matter of time before it started getting tired, so an open diff was sourced. Then it was over to Nick to sort the rest out, Stepping down to a 3.9 ratio from a 4.3 aswell.

20160610_173525

Next was the interior. I got the Zeta 1 off a friend a while ago and the corner was cut off. Fibre glassed that back together and built a BNR32 passengers seat(was given a passengers base with a drivers cushion, alot more involved than you would imagine!). Nardi to turn with and a TRD gear knob that came with the engine conversion.

12-10-201620508

12-10-201620552

new20years20161720062

Then it was onto the 5 stud conversion. I picked up some R32 GTST calipers and painted them gold. We made the hardlines out of the caliper, Nick re-drilled the hubs and got some new disks. On the rear I bought some 5 stud hubs and then Nick re-drilled the rotors(which were new when we went through compliance). I purchased some KTS coilovers which we freshened up and had new rear lower bushes installed, and wound them all the way down. I had some Blitz type 01 wheels which I had bought a while ago for another project, so I cleaned them up and put them on. While it was on axle stands we also swapped the clutch as it was starting to get a bit tired.

12-10-2016201142

12-10-2016201146

12-10-2016201164

I got some raybrigs with carbon surrounds and repaired some factory plastic skirts to finish it off.

12-10-2016201095

Very happy with the end result. Have already taken it to Meremere drift days twice, a paddock bash for our car clubs christmas party, Cooper Tyres Mt Maunganui Hardpark and numerous other events!

new20years20161720142
new20years20161720167
new20years20161720192
new20years20161720135

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: