Thanks for getting a snap of me sideways!
Archive for August, 2011
The final step towards getting the 180sx track ready was the front knuckles and 5 stud conversion. I am running re-drilled hubs/brakes up front, the brakes work fine so there is no need to upgrade them, this is the cheapest way to get my 5 stud wheels on. Nick has also made up some Garage H knuckles for it.
On the car
Still have a bunch more parts to make up and install on the 180, I took it out to Hampton Downs on Saturday and it went well though. The clutch started slipping towards the end of the day and one of the intercooler joiners split causing the car to lose power but apart from those 2 issues it went well!
Will be doing a bit more testing on it this Sunday after our Gymkhana.
Below JJ Strydom, who is leading the way.
Here are the times after 2 rounds, the 3rd and final round for this course is on this Sunday 28th August.
Mounted the Type x Sideskirts
Got the D-max bonnet on
Pulled the turbo off, Nick drilled/tapped all the holes so the exhaust could be properly installed.
Pulled the hubs/disks/knuckles/arms ready for Nick to work his magic on
Put the coil overs in
Basically everything is done now except the front hubs/knuckles. All going to plan I will have it put back together tomorrow night in time for the track day on Saturday
Has been a busy week here, I finished re-running the loom to eliminate future problems. I have also put the new front bumper on.
Aswell as getting the rear valance/end caps mounted.
Next I went to swap out the factory front pipe for one that Nick made up a while ago. However as this car has been sitting outside for a very long time about half of the bolts snap when being undone. Unfortunately the rear turbo housing to dump pipe bolts were no different so now I need to pull the whole turbo off and get them out. This weekend is going to be a greasy one!
I managed to fix the gearbox by swapping over the input shaft from Max’s broken gearbox, however after putting it all back together it has a slight whine(Which Max always had) So I am going to give that gearbox a good run and see how it goes.
Next up was some maintenance on the engine bay. The silicon elbow off the turbo had a big hole in it so I replaced that, The intercooler piping is pretty dodgy, on the hot side there are joiners making up for missing pipe etc, so I will be making up some new intercooler piping in the long run.
The Radiator overflow bottle also was showing its age with the typical cracks, so I welded that up. It was only a quick job and although its watertight I still have to sand it down and tidy it up!
I also took it for a warrant of fitness, after sitting around for 3 years it flew through! The rear hubs have now been swapped for S14 5 stud items, and I’m halfway through running the front loom through the engine bay. If all goes to plan I should have it out on track for some testing at our next Advance day on August 20th, but there is still alot more work to be carried out!